Levanger is a historic marketplace with major trading dating back to Medieval times. The town was founded as a marketplace due to its location on the shores of the Trondheimsfjorden and the travel routes to Sweden. The city celebrated its 1000th anniversary in 2011.
The city centre has experienced three large city fires, in 1846, 1877 and 1897. After the last fire, the city was rebuilt in the building tradition of the time inspired by Swiss and Art Nouveau. The town centre has a continuous park feature which is meant to prevent the spread of fire. Today, as many as 157 properties in the city centre are heritage protected as one of the few remaining large wooden house areas in mid Norway. The wooden house town has a special character and has received the quality mark “Olavsrosa”.