Art museum containing Edvard Munch's (1863-1944) works, which he bequeathed to the City of Oslo in 1940. The museum opened its doors to the public in 1963, one hundred years after the world-famous painter and graphic artist was born.
The gift from the artist to the municipality covered around 1100 paintings, 15 500 prints, 4700 drawings and six sculptures. In addition, nearly 500 plates, 2240 books, note books, documents, photographs, tools and furniture. Munch's extensive collection of letters was later bequeathed to the museum by his sister Inger Munch, along with a significant number of original works, especially from the 1880s.
The museum was designed by the architects Gunnar Fougner and Einar Myklebust. In 1994 it was expanded and rehabilitated.
Photo: Entrance of the Munch Museum at Tøyen, © 2005 J. P. Fagerback