Church

The Memorial Park / The St. Hallvard Cathedral

Situated along Gudbrandsdalsleden
In the Memorial Park, or the Ruin Park as it is also called, house the remains of some of medieval Oslo's major buildings.

Online

http://bit.ly/14vy7EV

E-mail

oslo.ladegard@kul.oslo.kommune.no

Phone

+47 221 94 468

Address

Ruinparken, St. Hallvards plass, 0192 Oslo

Charge

Free

Open

Year around. Guided tours every Sun. at 15.00 and Wed. at 18.00 in the sumer season.

Distance

At the path

As part of Medieval Oslo, the park contains the ruins of Oslo's first- cathedral, the Hallvard's Cathedral, as well as the Olav's Monastery and the Church of the Cross.

The Hallvard Cathedral was built in the early 1100s as a Romanesque basilica, with a central tower and transept. The church was used until 1660, and the last remnants of the building was demolished around 1780. The Olav's Monastery (Dominican Order), built in 1240, was a conversion of the former St. Olav's Church.

The Church of the Cross was a small parish church for the northern part of the city. The ruins show the outline of the church, and the lower parts of the south doorway. You can see the remains of the shrine foundation, and the remains the cemetery wall surrounding the church.

Officially opened in 1932 the park's main attraction was the ruins of St. Halvard Cathedral. In the 1960s a concrete cover was placed over the southern part of the park for the benefit of a road.

Photo: Helge Høifødt / Wikimedia Commons

This site uses information capsules, also called “cookies”. Cookies is a digital footprint used as a tool by Pilegrimsleden to opitmalize the site for the users. Read more about our Privacy Policy here.
Read more about our Privacy Policy here.