It is uncertain how long the church was standing at this site, but it may have been in use since the Reformation in 1537. The source and the church was located along Romboleden and was a natural stopover for pilgrims who came from the east on their way to Nidaros. In pre-Christian times there was a pagan temple at the site. Throughout the Middle Ages the St. Mary's Church and St. Mary's source was visited by the sick who sought salvation and medicine,. Stories about crutches that were left behind by people at the source, may indicate that many found healing and salvation on this holy place.