Phone+47 476 01 986
Kristiansten fortress was constructed in 1682-1684 as part of the rebuilding after the city fire 18 April 1682. The main tower is a direct extension of the Cathedral's longitudinal axis, approx. 700 meters away. In the 1700s it was extended to the form it has today.
In 1816 Karl III Johan decided that Kristiansten fortress should close and be left to the ravages of time. The fortress' rescue was the decided that the cannons still were to notify the residents in case of a fire.
As part of the Trondheims 1,000-year anniversary in 1997, the castle underwent an extensive renovation. Floodlights was installed and one of the fort's underground bunkers, for protection of troops, ammunition and supplies, was transformed in to a memorial chapel.
The fortress area is a great place for recreation, games and other activities, and is open daily from 08:00 to 01:00. The main tower is open every day from 11:00 to 15:00 from 5 June to 31 August.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC BY-SA 3.0