Pilegrimsleden | Hamardomen
Church

Hamardomen

Situated along Gudbrandsdalsleden
Hamardomen is the name of the ruins of the old Hamar Cathedral, raised in connection with the creation of the diocese in 1152/53.

Here lay the bishop's castle, the monk's herb garden, hospital and school before the town (Hamarkaupangen) collapsed and large parts of the cathedral were destroyed by fire.

Today the ruins of the cathedral are inside a protective structure of glass and steel, “the glass cathedral”, building was completed in 1998. Hamardomen is an ecumenical church; both the Lutheran and the Catholic Church can use the Hamardomen for worship and ceremonies, such as weddings, baptisms and confirmation. Every morning during the summer season, except Sundays and Tuesdays, pilgrims can come for morning prayers in the Hamardomen, before the museum opens, from 2 p.m. 08.30 - 09.00.

Pilgrims receive their own discount in the museum's exhibitions by displaying pilgrim´s passport. Visits to the Hamardomen are also free if you have a passport.


(Tuesdays during summer season, pilgrims may come for morning prayers in Hamar Cathedral).

This site uses information capsules, also called “cookies”. Cookies is a digital footprint used as a tool by Pilegrimsleden to opitmalize the site for the users. Read more about our Privacy Policy here.
Read more about our Privacy Policy here.