The fort at Furuberget hilltop
The fort at the hilltop of Furuberget is one of many forts at the eastern side of lake Mjøsa, stretching from Tangen to Moelv. The forts are probably from 400-500 AD, and in use until around year 1000, possibly even during Olav Haraldsson´s christianization of the region. At the highest point, there are remainings of ramparts of stone and earth.
It is likely that this fort used Palisades wooden stakes, or tree trunks, as a defensive structure. The fort acted as a refuge and not permanent settlement. These forts were of great importance for the defence of populated areas.
The illustration shows how it's envisioned that the hill forts appeared and how they were used.