St. Olav's burial church, Norway's national sanctuary and coronation church
|Phone:||+47 73 89 08 00|
|Address:||Bispegaten 11, 7012 Trondheim|
The history of Nidaros Cathedral is approaching a 1000 years. Work on the cathedral started in 1070 and was finished sometime around 1300. Since then it has lived trough several fires, restorations and expansions. Formally the cathedral was not completed until 2001.
Until the Reformation in 1537 the cathedral was known as "Cor Norvegiae", the Heart of Norway, but also called Christ Church in Nidaros. Although the cathedral was strongly associated with St.Olav it was not devoted to him, but to the Holy Trinity.
In the Norwegian Constitution of 1814 it was determined that the Kingdom of Norway's regent would be crowned in Trondheim. The Nidaros Cathedral was last used as coronation church in 1906, when Haakon VII was crowned. After the Parliament abolished the coronation ceremony in 1908, the cathedral has been used as venue for the Regent's blessing. The Norwegian Royal Regalia was previously stored here, and is now exhibited in the nearby Archbishop's Palace.
Today Nidaros Cathedral is a Lutheran cathedral and parish church, in addition to a venue for concerts and other events. The cathedral's central position in Norway's history and majestical apperance also makes it the number one tourist attraction in Trondheim.